Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Heard a Tree Cry

In the presence of Mother Nature, a Tree cried out to me today. Her bark had been stripped, her trunk slashed and left bleeding. I could feel her pain in my chest , hear her cries in my ears, and see her tears with my eyes. She told me how they came to her place of standing and desecrated her home. “They have polluted the earth that is my home. They have stripped my bark and slashed my trunk.” Her words were loud and clear, full of pain.

In a soft tone, she reminded me that my judgement of those who had done this to her was mine to bear as well. For I was a part of them, they are a part of me, and we all were a part of her. So in essence, the violence that had been perpetrated against her had been against us all.  No one would escape.  The Tree told me that if this abuse continued that there would be consequences. She told me that if the earth was continuously polluted she would bear no fruit, that if they continued to tear into her trunk she would yield no medicine, and if she were fallen for no reason she would no longer provide shade.
Then the Tree sang to me.  Her song was strong and the message clear.  “This Earth does not belong to us, we belong to it.” Listen to the tree for she is wise and has much to teach us.

No comments:

Post a Comment